Useful Links

1. Utilities

1.1  Thames Water Utilities

If carrying out work within 3m of public sewer phone 0845 850 2777

1.2 British Gas 

Gas, electricity and home repair service  British Gas

1.3  Find Out Who Supplies your Electricity

To find out who supplies your electricity, see UK Power Networks

1.4 Find Out About Self-Certification Schemes

For the full comprehensive list and descriptions of the current Competent Persons Schemes, see Communities and Local Government 

1.5 Gas Safe Register

Gas Safe Register is the official gas registration body for the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey appointed by the relevant Health and Safety Authority for each area. (It replaced CORGI as the gas registration body) Tel: 0800 408 5500

1.6 Electric   Offer Part P Certification Services, Building Regulations Schemes, products and support to electrical contractors and many other trades within the construction industry. Authorised by Communities and Local Government to deliver a competent persons scheme to enable contractors to self certify domestic electrical work under Part P of the building regulations. Government Approved register holders for Part P Registered Domestic Electrical Installers






1.7 Solid Fuel

Hetas is the official body recognised by government to approve solid fuel, domestic heating appliances, fuels and services.


Oil Firing Technical Association Limited

1.7 Oil

See Oil Firing Technical Association Limited For Advice and information on oil fired heating and cooking for consumers, manufacturers, technicians and specifiers. Or Building Engineering Services Competence Accreditation Limited

1.7 Windows


1.8 Certification & Self Assessment

Air Tightness –

Cavity Wall – CigaCWISC 

Roofing – National FederationConfederation of Roofing Contractors

Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors:


2. Government

2.1 Department for Communities and Local Government

Responsible for housing, local government, regeneration, planning, and urban and regional issues, party wall information, building regulations etc: Tel: 020 7944 4400

2.2 The Planning Portal

The Planning Portal – The UK Government’s online planning and building regulations resource. This is a Government gateway to planning information throughout the UK. It provides information on plans, appeals, applications, contact details, research areas etc.

2.3 The Planning Portal Interactive House

The Planning Portal Interactive House – A visual interactive guidance on many household projects.

2.3 The Party Wall Act

The Party Wall Act – Description and explanatory notes regarding the party wall act. (Plus downloadable pdf brochure)

2.4 Health & Safety Executive

Health & Safety Executive – Responsible for health and safety regulations in Great Britain. Tel: 0300 033 1647. Note: If you want to report an Accident, call: 0845 300 9923

2.5 Environment Agency

Environment Agency – Principal aims are to protect and improve the environment, and to promote sustainable development. Play a central role in delivering the environmental priorities of central government. Tel: 08708 506 506

2.6 Green Deal Scheme

Green Deal Scheme – The Government has produced “Quick Guides” relating to the Green Deal, that are available to householders, owners, tenants and landlords. To view, click: Green Deal – Quick Guides. Further information can be found on the web pages/links below:


3. Construction Links

3.1 Chartered Institute of Builders

3.2 Building Control Alliance

The association for all organisations directly involved in Building Control in England and Wales.

3.3 Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)

RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) – The official comprehensive guide to Chartered Surveyors General advice (Party Wall advice): Tel: 0870 333 1600

3.4 Federation of Master Builders

Federation of Master Builders – The UK’s leading building trade association. Tel: 0207 242 7583

3.5 Find An Engineer

Find An Engineer – Details of structural engineering companies across the UK.

3.6 Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE)

The Chatered Association of Building Engineers (CABE) – The professional body for those specialising in the technology of building. Tel: 0845 126 1058

3.7 Building Research Establishment (BRE)

Leading research, consultancy, training, testing and certification organisation delivering sustainability and innovation across the built environment and beyond. Tel: 01923 664000

3.8 British Standards Institution (BSI)


3.9 BESCA Building Engineering Services Competence Accreditation Ltd


3.10 The Power Service  Provides electrical and gas safety inspection service. Members of Gas Safety Register, OFTEC, NICEIC, NAPIT & Trust Mark. Tel: 01707 654600


Do you have a question about Building Regulations?

Speak to one of our Team about your project